Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Griðungihorn

My new knife is finished, made in the style of a simple Viking Age working knife. The design also follows Finnish peasant knives, consisting only of a piece of figured wood with the blade wedged (and in this case glued) in place. The sheath is treated with linseed oil and pine tar before being hot-waxed with beeswax.

This is the second knife that I've completed from start to finish, and my first experience with forge welding. It's not perfect, but I'm very pleased with it. May it serve me for years to come.

Specifications:

- File-steel core
- Wrought iron sides
- Curly maple handle, treated with "boat soup"
- 2.75" blade length
- 7" overall length
- Vegetable tanned, naturally dyed leather sheath
- Rough forged brass sheath fittings





No comments:

Post a Comment