Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Direction I'm Going

Up till now, I have been making small items - knives and firesteels mostly. I still have a few more projects at that scale to finish up. Once those are done, I'm redirecting my focus a bit. I want to make bloomery steel, and then make swords...

I've been really inspired by the smiths that took part in Arctic Fire 2012 (http://www.arcticfire2012.com/), a hammer-in that blew my mind. I knew of each smith that took part. I knew the work they had done before, and I knew their individual styles. What I didn't know was how awesome it was going to be to watch them work and listen to them talk about the craft of bladesmithing. I am truly grateful to each of these guys for sharing their expertise and serving as an inspiration for less experienced smiths like me.

This event made a huge impression on me. It made me think about why I started smithing in the first place. Homemade steel, pattern welding, and swords. I've always wanted to do these things, but I've been too intimidated to try. As soon as I finish a handful of smaller projects I've got going, these things are going to become my focus.

I am ready to earn the right to take that "amateur" out of my title.

No comments:

Post a Comment