Thursday, August 2, 2012

Another Walking Stick

I'm still practicing carving Viking Age art styles. This time I wanted to try an Oseberg-ish style knotwork, applying the things I learned in my last carving attempt. I was pretty rushed to get it done in time to give as a birthday gift, so it's not been carved as cleanly as I think I could have done. And the grace lines were cut in with the skew chisel, which is not the best way to go about doing that, and some turned out less graceful than others. Still though, I followed the grain much better this time, resulting in no split-out. And the over-unders turned out nicely I think. Even though I'm no master carver, I have a lot of fun doing it and I expect that most of my future projects will feature some kind of carving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment