Monday, October 1, 2012

Eddaic Epicness

Recently, Petr Florianek and I struck a bargain. He'll give me a knife, and I'll write him fornyrðislag poetry. When he makes a piece that he thinks deserves a poem, he'll let me know, and I'll do my best to represent the piece in words. I immediately agreed to this, and when you see the knife he sent me, I think you'll agree that I got the better end of the deal.

This is such an exciting venture for me, and I'm honored to have been given the opportunity. Fornyrðislag poetry is a recent interest of mine. It's a way for me to be creative even when I only have a moment or two to spare. It's also a way for me to breathe new life into one facet of the West's heritage that few people remember today. And though I'm far from being an expert, I try to improve with each verse. I hope my words can live up to the objects they describe.

Petr's work is obviously art - functional, beautiful art at that. I like to think that my poetry will help give his art context and help immerse the viewers of his art deeper and deeper in the world each piece creates and represents. And I will have to work hard to fulfill my end of the deal.

And if you don't know who Petr Florianek is, you need to find out. In my mind, he is one of the preeminent craftsmen of our time. Check out his website, and like him on Facebook. He even takes commissions.

I am honored to help him tell stories through his pieces, and to help keep the flame of Germanic art and culture alive and well.


This was his end of the bargain. Now I have to fulfill mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment